I’m going to start this post by saying that it is clear that Danielle is the guru of clean eating. April 2014 ended 18 years or cheerleading for myself: 14 years All-Star/middle/high school/mascot and 4 years at the collegiate level! Cheerleading kept me in great shape, but I had AWFUL eating habits. In August of 2014, I made a vow to eat healthier, and consistently go to the gym (which I hate)! It wasn’t until I began to receive calls and texts from family and friends about my new physique that I had even realized how great I looked. So I thought it would share some of my “cleaner” eating tips with my HT gang. I was the girl that would eat McDonalds everyday if I could. So if I can do it, you can do it too! As fashionistas, we all want to make sure we look great in the latest trends and are always camera ready for any Instagram photo-op! However, we need to remember looking great does not equal being as skinny as possible, and being “bigger” does not equate to not looking great. As I go through my tips I want all of you to remember, the healthiest girls are the most stylish girls!
1) Drink More Water
– This can’t be reiterated enough. You will notice a difference in your body, skin, and mood just by substituting your sugary juices and carbonated drinks with water! If you don’t like drinking water, add some of your favorite fruits for a better taste! Also, its best to drink water infused with electrolytes to keep yourself hydrated, and not add a lot of water weight. BUT, if you don’t feel like buying special waters, just add SEA SALT! Yes, sea salt! It’s a natural electrolyte.
2) Cook More, Eat Out Less
– By cooking your own food, you’re able to control your portions as well as the ingredients you put into your body.
3) Always Read the Ingredients Label
– Always read the ingredients label! My rule of thumb is that if it has too many ingredients or too many unfamiliar ingredients… DON’T EAT IT!
4) Drink More Water
5) Always Include a Protein and Vegetable in Every Meal
– This is quite self-explanatory! However, this is the key to killer abs! It also gives you a balanced meal.
6) If you want to be FINE, don’t eat after NINE
– I had always heard that eating after a certain time makes a big difference. It wasn’t until after I stopped eating after 9 that I noticed the difference. This is key number 2 to killer abs! For all my working ladies out there, don’t fret! This is not the end all be all. Of course on those late days when you have to eat after 9 please do so, but just don’t make it a habit! & if you find yourself snacky after nine have some nuts or fruit.
7) Drink More Water
8) The Darker the Meat, the Cleaner you Eat
– Dark meat is the healthier meat. So always go for the dark meat!
9) Fresh Produce is the Way to Go
– I’ve learned that if your food lasts longer than a week, it’s probably not something you should be eating. I try to buy most of my food fresh, not frozen!
10) Drink More Water
-You knew it was coming.
These are just a few things that have helped me in my transition to being fit and fabulous. HT gang, I want you to remember that it’s not about dieting or depriving yourself of sweets and such. If I want a cookie, I go and have that cookie. However, it’s about a lifestyle change. As I said earlier, if I can do it… ANYone can! In the words of my favorite Whole Foods shopping bag, “Eat goods, not bads.” What are some of your favorite clean eating tips or recipes? Tag us in your posts or mention us on twitter @hertwenties!
Peace. Love. & Fashion/Food,